Monday, February 4, 2008

The Corn Palace




















Have you ever wondered what kind of things you would come across if you were set out on a road trip across the country? When I started driving across the country with my dad, one of the things I was most excited about was getting to see all the small towns and what they had to offer. One of the fun discoveries along the road was in Mitchell, South Dakota: The Corn Palace. Yes, it is what it sounds like, a “palace” made out of corn. I don’t know how excited I would have been to come across such a wonder had it been any ordinary day. But something about being in the car for hours on end makes things like The Corn Palace absolutely fabulous. I guess that is one of the beauties of a road trip: appreciating the [smaller and not nearly as well known] wonders of the world.

Originally known as “The Corn Belt Exposition,” The Corn Palace was established in 1892. It served as a place for inhabitants of South Dakota to display their harvesting food and demonstrate the fertility South Dakota soil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a nice link to the corn palace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Palace